outflows and inflows of creativity

Friday, July 20, 2007

Interview with Colleen Patricia Williams

Colleen Patricia Williams is an extremely gifted artist who lives in Portland, Oregon. There she is, on the left. She creates pieces designed to stir your emotions, and make you think more deeply and appreciate color. After successfully raising her children, Colleen felt the need to dive back in to her art. In 2003 she suffered an accident that almost took her life. In nearly constant pain, she courageously continues to paint, gaining from her experience a deep appreciation for life. Here's a few questions I asked her:
1. How did you get started as an artist? According to my aunt, I got my start young, making toothpaste sculptures out of my little brother's hair. From there I progressed to mud on any available wall space.
2. Where can we find your work? I have my own website, www.colleenpatriciawilliams.com, and I also have an art rep, Dawne, of Zebra Creations. I've just signed a contract with Off The Canvas Gallery in Canada, for prints of some of my images.
3. What message(s) are you trying to convey? Well, I'm more into shapes, colors and forms than I am any message. I prefer that the viewer's emotional response come from within them, not from any external statement on my part. I don't want to define the viewer's experience; I want them to define it for themselves. I provide the image, and they take it from there.
4. What artist, work or movement has influenced you the most? That one is pretty easy. Georgia O'Keeffe and Wayne Thiebaud. I love the colors of both artists. And the light from Rembrandt! I can only hope to achieve that level of mastery!
5. How do you find inspiration? I can't get away from it. I have learned that I have to be careful while driving. I can get distracted by something very easily. My husband says I'm the master at the mad right turn, LOL!
I really can't get away from the images. Sometimes they wake me up, and won't let me sleep again until I have them on paper, at least.
6.If you could have any job in the world what would it be? Pagan Queen of my Very Own Universe, LOL! Seriously, I would love to be able to make a living doing my art. I'm lucky, in that I have a very supportive husband, and a very supportive ex-husband. They both are invaluable to the cause!
7. Who are your heroes? That one is also easy. The regular working stiff that gets up everyday, and goes to work to support the family. The moms that raise the kids, and the grammas and grandpas that help out. The average human that forges ahead even when it hurts. I often feel that part of the problems in our society is the undervaluation of the working families. There is too much desire to want to be eternally young, to be "someone". What the average person needs, is to realize that we are all someone special. Just like art, each person is unique and each brings something different to the table.

No comments: