outflows and inflows of creativity

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Warming Up

Made some good progress on my latest painting this past weekend. Wish I had more than just weekends to express myself through paint, but I'm grateful for at least that. Got my canvas primed and my composition worked out. The main accomplishment was getting my tones done. I like burnt umber for this step. I use it straight out the tube for the shadows and dark areas, and a gradient wash for other areas. This helps me start to see the dimensionality of the piece as a whole, to see, as possible as it can be at this step, what works and what doesn't. Being a mostly self taught artist, I was resistant to this extra step at first --whine "It takes too much time" whine "It ruins sponteneity"- - now I know it's crucial to the final look. It gives a warmth and depth to the overlying colors, a richness. Oil painters have used this technique for ages, and it works for acrylics as well. It's always good to go the extra step.

2 comments:

Diane Dehler said...

There is such expectation in starting a new art project. What kind of flower will this one become?

harriett said...

Hello Princess! This will be a still life flower - maybe chrysanthemum shaped (REALLY use your imagination!!!)