outflows and inflows of creativity

Friday, February 22, 2008

Golden Discovery

One neat thing I'm discovering about college is the richness of the learning environment, and the unexpected ways new ideas can be discovered. Of course there's the traditional classroom way, with lectures and interaction between professor/student and student/student.

But I discovered a real gem in music . . . and no, I don't mean Brittany's out of rehab and decided to actually attempt to sing, or any otherwise unlikely event.

No, I mean a real talent in the person of Paul Robeson.

I write and maintain the blog for the IP Stanback Museum & Planetarium, which is on the campus of my school, South Carolina State University. We are getting ready for a new dual exhibition, The Hubble Telescope and Harlem on My Mind. Harlem is a a group of photos from the Harlem Renaissance era, taken by some of the best photographers America ever produced. The Harlem part is dedicated to Paul Robeson. I found out about him after researching for the blog.

Lord, oh Lord, what a voice. This voice will make every cell in your body resonate.

Take a listen if you haven't heard him before. If you have, reminisce.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Throughout my childhood and young adulthood, I heard stories about "that concert." My ex-in-laws who I still adore were there as were my aunt and uncle

Robeson was wonderful. Thanks for reminding me