outflows and inflows of creativity

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Art Birth

A wonderful thing has happened. It may not seem like much to a lot of people, but I think it is quite the accomplishment.

In my small town we have, remarkably, several colleges, and one university, South Carolina State University, but no commercial art gallery. We do have, thankfully, a very good city-owned Art Center.

SCSU has an art museum and planetarium housed in the same building, which I find progressive. That's it in the picture. Last evening myself and other art lovers and supporters met and formed the first ever "Friends of the SCSU Museum and Planetarium" committee. We made plans for upcoming exhibitions and discussed the specifics of increasing the awareness of the importance of art in our community. I am delighted to be a part of this group! Among them is my high school art teacher, Barbara Townsend. She taught me to see, to really see, not just look; the basics of technique and the value of practice and repetition. I am eager to be under her guidance again.

A great thing is about to happen in our community, I just know it. Art has the power, unlike any other thing, to transform minds for the better, to give hope and the gift of expression to those who may not have any other voice. Art heals, art transcends.

1 comment:

Ebb Tide said...

Good work! How I wish we could do something like that in our community.We don't have an art museum. We have few local galleries. Someday, I hope to see a BIG museum around.